- Review the Learning Resources focusing on critical thinking and Bennerâ€™s interpretation of the Novice to Expert theory.
- Reflect on how critical thinking is used in clinical practice. How does critical thinking relate to, or support, clinical competence?
- What critical thinking strategies do you use to improve your clinical competence and thus move from novice to expert?
- Consider the connection between critical thinking, nursing practice, and scholarship.
Post your observations on how critical thinking is used in clinical practice (provide examples); how you employ critical thinking strategies to improve clinical competence; and your thoughts on the connections between critical thinking, scholarship, and practice.
Support your Discussion assignment with specific resources used in its preparation using APA formatting. You are asked to provide a reference for all resources, including those in the Learning Resources for this course.
1. Berkow, S., Virkstis, K., Stewart, J., Aronson, S., & Donohue, M. (2011). Assessing individual frontline nurse critical thinking. Journal of Nursing Administration, 41(4), 168â€“171. doi:10.1097/NNA.0b013e3182118528.
2. Jenkins, S. (2011). Cross-cultural perspectives on critical thinking. Journal of Nursing Education, 50(5), 268â€“274. doi:10.3928/01484834-20110228-02.
3. Zori, S., Nosek, L. J., & Musil, C. M. (2010). Critical thinking of nurse managers related to staff RNsâ€™ perceptions of the practice environment. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 42(3), 305â€“313. doi:10.1111/j.1547-5069.2010.01354.x